This mousse is another favorite summer dessert in Denmark. Light and airy with a refreshing lemon tang. As this recipe is not cooked, please use pasteurized eggs for this recipe. In my adaption of this classic recipe without the sugar, it is a perfect sweet treat for Keto, Low Carb and Diabetic diets.
Danish Lemon Mousse – “Citronfromage”
- 4 small bowls
- Medium mixing bowl
- lemon mister (or a fine grater)
- Stand Mixer
- small saucepan
- 4 dessert bowls or glasses
For the Mousse:
- 2 sheets gelatin (or 1 ½ tsp. unflavored gelatin powder)
- 5 pasteurized egg yolks
- ½ cup powdered erythritol
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 organic lemons
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 pasteurized egg whites
For the Garnish:
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Grated lemon peel and slices
- Lemon balm leaves
- Put the gelatin sheets in a small bowl and cover with water. Let soak for 20 minutes. (alternative, if using gelatin powder, sprinkle the powder over 4 tbsp water in a small bowl and let sit until dissolved and "gelled")
- Wash the lemons and grate the yellow outside of the peel. Save about a quarter of the grated in a small bowl for garnish. Juice the lemons into a small bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks, powdered erythritol, lemon and vanilla extract in your stand mixer with the whisk attachment until light yellow and thick. Transfer to another medium sized mixing bowl.
- Press the lemon juice through the sieve into your small saucepan. Take the gelatin up from the water and squeeze the water out. Add to the lemon juice.
- Put the saucepan over medium heat and whisk the gelatin mixture until it is quite warm, 120F (50C) and the gelatin is completely dissolved. It's best to use a thermometer to check the temperature (I use a basic roast thermometer). Take off heat.
- Clean your stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment with soap thoroughly. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Clean your stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment with soap thoroughly once again. Whisk the heavy cream until just stiff.
- Pour the warm lemon juice & gelatin mixture into the egg yolk mixture while whisking vigorously until well blended. Add half of the whipped cream and whisk until combined.
- Put the egg whites into the stand mixer bowl with the rest of the whipped cream and pour the egg yolk gelatin mixture in. Carefully fold with a spatula until well combined.
- Spoon the mousse into 4 dessert bowls or glasses. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Just before serving, garnish with fresh whipped cream, grated lemon peel, lemon slices and lemon balm leaves.