When I tried these for the first time in Malaga, Spain I fell in love!! Garlic, Olive oil, Chili and Fresh Shrimp; what’s not to like! Perfect as an appetizer or as a main course, my family loves these and we never have leftovers. ?
Chili and Garlic Sizzling Shrimps (Gambas Pil Pil)
- 4 Individual ovenproof cast iron or ceramic "tapas" serving dishes
- (If you don't have individual dishes, you can make this in one large cast iron frying pan or ceramic baking dish, but it's more fun with individual dishes!!)
- 40 peeled and de-viened raw large prawns with tail on, washed and dried (as a main course, double this amount of prawns so that everyone has 20)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp ground paprika (or pil-pil spice if you can find it)
- 1 tbsp dried chili pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425F (220C)
- Put the serving dishes on a cookie sheet. Divide the olive oil between the 4 serving dishes. Sprinkle the garlic, paprika, chili flakes and parsley over the olive oil. (Save some of the parsley to garnish with.) Stir to combine with the olive oil.
- Put the dishes into the oven for about 4-5 minutes, until the oil starts to bubble.
- Take the dishes out of the oven and put 10 prawns in every dish. Turn them with a spoon a few times so they are coated with spices and oil. Return to the oven for 4-5 minutes until the oil is bubbling and the shrimps are just pink. Be careful not to overcook the prawns, it's best when they still have a "bite" to them.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately (with hot crusty bread for the non low-carbers!)