When white asparagus are in season, I buy them! They are wonderful both warm and cold. In Germany, they have whole festivals to honor the beloved “Spargal”. I love to make cold salads with them on hot summer days like this one. ?
White Asparagus Summer Salad
- Potato peeler
- 10 stalks White Asparagus
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 heads Baby Romaine salad
- 4 ripe Plum Tomatos
- Tomato Basil Vinaigrette
- Wash and carefully peel the outside of the asparagus stalks up to the heads with a potato peeler. You want to peel the outer skin so that the asparagus isn't "woody" when you serve it. Break off the bottom of the stalks.
- Bring 3 cups of water and the salt up to a boil in your skillet. Carefully place the asparagus in the water and boil for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, take off heat and fill cold water into the skillet until full. Let the asparagus sit for one more minute before draining.
- Drain the asparagus, put on a plate and put into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to cool off.
- Wash and drain the lettuce leaves. Wash and slice the tomatoes into slices. Arrange the lettuce leaves and tomatos on a serving dish. Cut the asparagus into bitesize pieces and arrange over the salad.
- Serve with Tomato Basil Vinaigrette or your dressing of choice.