Perfect Gluten Free dessert to bring to a potluck or for your summer evening at home. Easy to make and a healthy treat!
Gluten Free Date Squares
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium Size Sauce Pan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 12 x 12 baking pan
- 3.5 Cups Medjoul Dates
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Water Gradually add, just enough to make a date paste. Start with 1/2 Cup.
Crumble Base and Topping
- 1 1/4 Cup Sorghum Flour
- 1 3/4 Cups Gluten Free Quick Oats
- 1 Cup Packed brown sugar
- 1 Cup Salted Butter Softened
- 1.5 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Combine Pitted Dates, Water, and Vanilla Extract in medium size sauce pan. If more water is needed gradually add to make a date paste.
- Simmer low until dates breaks down. You don't want the mixture too runny or it will make the base soggy.
Crumble base and topping
- Cream all crumble base ingredients except the pecans together until well blended, Divide in half.
- Butter and lightly flour (with Sorghum Flour) baking pan.
- Press half the crumble topping evenly into the baking pan, moving outward to the edges of the pan until it's completely covered.
- Spread the date filling evenly on top of the base.
- Sprinkle date filling with crumble topping until completely covered. Press down lightly. Sprinkle chopped pecans over the top.
- Place baking dish into preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven onto cooling rack
- Cut into 16 squares once completely cooled. Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream for a richer dessert.