These are a bit labour intensive but worth the effort! One of my favourites dishes when topped with Sour Cream and Chives!
Gluten Free Potato Latkes
- Mixing Bowl
- Food Processor or Grater
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Slotted spoon
- Large Frying Pan
- 8 Cups Russet Potatoes
- 2 Bunches Scallions
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 3/4 tbsp Course Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Sorghum Flour
- 1 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Olive Oil For Pan Frying
- Peel Potatoes and submerge in cold water
- Grate all potatoes with a food processor or by hand
- After grating, squeeze all excess water out of potatoes by the handful. Squeezed potatoes can be placed into a large mixing bowl.
- Dice scallions and cilantro and add to mixing bowl
- Add all remaining ingredients to mixing bowl except oil and mix well with spatula.
- Cover and set aside
- Heat oil in deep, large, frying pan
- When a drop of batter sizzles oil is hot enough to fry. Oil should only be deep enough to just cover bottom half of Latke, as its flipped over, otherwise gets too oily.
- Drop batter into fry pan, approximately 1/4 cup for each Potato Latke, with an inch apart. Press down lightly on each to flatten a bit. Cook until browned then flip and brown on other side.
- Once cooked, place on paper towels to absorb excess oil
- Can place in warm oven, 200 degrees, to keep warm while frying the Latkes.
- Serve warm with sour cream topped with minced chives or scallions on top.