Don’t underestimate how wonderful it is to grill vegetables! When the weather is warm in Denmark, we grill almost everything. The combination of warm grilled vegetables on a bed of cold spinich and tomatoes is really delicious. Halloumi cheese is a wonderful addition, getting warm and just a bit crisp on the outside. Top it off with a mint and basil vinaigrette and you have a perfect side dish to any grilled meat, or as a complete vegetarian meal.
Grilled Eggplant, Red Pepper and Halloumi Salad
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves (about 20 leaves)
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (about 20 leaves)
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 paprika or bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 9 oz Halloumi cheese, sliced in ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 cups baby spinich, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup olive oil
Make the dressing:
- Combine all dressing ingredients in your mini-foodprocessor or blender. Blend until combined. Put in the fridge until serving.
Make the salad:
- Warm the grill on medium high heat.
- Lay the eggplant slices on a cookie sheet and sprinkle generously with salt on both sides. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, dab the eggplant with a paper towel to remove the water.
- Arrange the spinach and tomatos on a serving plate.
- Brush the the eggplant and peppers with olive oil generously on both sides and grill about 6 minutes per side over medium heat with the lid closed. The eggplant should be translucent and the peppers soft, but not mushy. Take off the grill and put into a foil or ceramic dish. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Brush the Halloumi cheese slices generously with olive oil and grill about 4 minutes per side over medium heat until browned, but not too soft! Watch it here, the cheese can quickly be too soft to get off the grill! Take off the grill and put into a foil or ceramic dish. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Just before serving, arrange the eggplant, pepper and Halloumi cheese over the spinach and tomatoes. Pour the dressing over and serve!