I did my undergraduate studies in Los Angeles and it was there I had my first Cobb Salad. Apparently, this salad has it’s origins in Hollywood. It was apparently first served at the Brown Derby Restaurant, made by Robert Howard Cobb. Whatever the origins are, it’s just really delicious and filling. Ripe avocados, chicken, hard-boiled eggs and bacon are topped off with a blue cheese dressing. Serve with a warm baguette and soft butter for the non-keto dinner guests.
California Cobb Salad
- Small baking pan
- Mini-foodprocessor (or blender)
- Large salad serving bowl
Roast the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts (10 oz or 300g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp grill rub seasoning mix
- 2 tbsp butter
For the Bluecheese dressing:
- ½ cup Mayonaise (I use Hellmann's)
- ½ cup Sour cream or Creme Fraiche (18% fat)
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp minced fresh chives
- 1 tbsp minced parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2.5 oz blue cheese
For the salad:
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and cut into quarters.
- 10 slices thick bacon, fried crispy
- 12 ounces cherry or San Marzano tomatos, cut in halves
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1 head romaine lettuce, crisped and cut in bitesize strips
Roast the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C)
- Take a small baking dish and brush the bottom with olive oil. Put the chicken breast in and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle grill rub seasoning over the chicken and rub in on both sides until well covered.
- Place one tablespoon of butter on each breast and put in oven 25-30 minutes until tender and cooked through. (Use a meat thermometer if you're not sure: the chicken is cooked when the internal temperature is 165F (75C).
- Take out of oven and let cool.
Make the dressing:
- Put all of the ingredients, except the cheese, into the mini-foodprocessor and blend until smooth. Remove and put into a small serving bowl. Crumble the cheese over and stir. (Or, blend the cheese into the dressing. My kids don't like the cheese chunks, so I blend half and crumble into the other half for the adults). Put into serving bowl.
Assemble the salad:
- Make sure you crisp the romaine! Put the romaine pieces into a bowl with ice cubes and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and dry (or use a salad spinner). Put into your serving bowl.
- Cut the chicken into strips or cubes. Add to serving bowl.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the bowl. Toss and serve with blue cheese dressing on the side.