I love to make savoury pies and have tried so many recipes for making a decent pastry dough for a crust that is low carb. After much trial and error, I have ended with this recipe that combines both almond flour and coconut flour with butter and cream cheese, making a dough that is both delicious and rather easy to work with in the rolling process. Important that the butter, cream cheese and egg are cold when you are combining the dough.
When rolling and shaping the pastry, if the dough becomes too sticky then put it back in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes or freezer for about 5 minutes. I have also found that putting the rolled dough as well as the pie form into the freezer for 5 minutes before shaping the dough helps the process. Don’t worry if the dough cracks while shaping, you can just use your fingers to patch it together.
This recipe makes enough for a 9 x 1 inch tart pan or a 8 x 1.5 inch pie pan. (23 x 2.5 cm tart pan)
Savoury Gluten Free / Keto Pastry Crust
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- ⅓ cup Coconut Flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp Xanthan Gum
- ½ cup cold butter (4 oz.)
- ¼ cup cold cream cheese (2 oz.)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Put the almond flour, coconut flour, salt and xantham gum in the food processor. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut the cold butter and cream cheese into medium size cubes. Put in food processor.
- Pulse just until the mixture is crumbly.
- Whisk the egg and the vinegar together in a small bowl. Drizzle this over the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough to a ball and wrap in cling film.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Roll between 2 pieces of parchment paper and use in your favorite savoury pastry recipes. If the dough gets too sticky, put it back in the refrigerator or freezer to firm it up.