Growing up my sisters and I spent many childhoods in the summer in Chicago under the stars, on a blanket, with candles lit, listening to classical music concerts at the well known Ravinia Music Festival. They were childhood memories I remember fondly. Our mom always made a delicious picnic meal that always included a delicious potato salad. This recipe is a classic for any summer meal and particularly lovely for a picnic!
Mom’s Potato Salad
- 16 Medium potatoes peeled and cubed medium size pieces
- 2 Cups Scallions Finely minced
- 2 Cups Dill Pickles Finely minced
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard Can add more to taste
- 3/4 tsp Salt or to taste
- 1.5 tsp Course Black Pepper or to taste
- 3/4 Cup Fresh Dill Weed Finely minced
- 8 Large Eggs Hard Boiled
- Peel, cube, potatoes. Bring water, with a dash of salt, to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat to a simmer, Cook approximately 20 minutes depending on cubed size. If over cooked, potato starts to break down, they fall apart in the potato salad. Drain and put in cool water.
- Hard boil eggs in salt water for easier peeling. Add a dash of salt. Cook for 12-15 minutes. Drain, put in cold water to cool, peel once cooled. Finely chop all.
- Mince Scallions, Celery, Pickles and set aside.
- Once potatoes are cooled add eggs, minced scallions, celery, pickles, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, fresh dill, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix gently and refrigerate over night for best flavour and texture.