I love summer and I love broccoli salad!! This is a variation on the traditional recipe, taking out the cranberries and sugar. With netcarbs of only 6g per serving, it’s the perfect side dish for your barbeque or as a main dish for lunch! You can use any kind of nuts and seeds in this salad if you’re out of walnuts or sunflower seeds. Important to let it rest at least 30 minutes before serving so that the broccoli can soak up the dressing. Yum!!
Summer Broccoli Salad
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 8 slices bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- ½ cup walnuts (broken into small pieces)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup mayonaise
- ½ cup sour cream (12% fat)
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. powdered erythritol (opt.)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium pot, bring 6 cups of salted water to a boil. While your waiting for the water to boil, prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and cook just until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain the broccoli in a colander and immediately submerge the broccoli in the ice water. Let stand a few minutes and then drain again in the colander. Let cool.
- Fry the bacon until crispy, let drain and cool off on paper towels.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth
- Combine the broccoli, diced onion, sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon and walnuts in a large glass serving bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss until all ingredients are fully coated.
- Let rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.